We at the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness are often asked how an individual can help an someone experiencing homelessness or the homeless population in general. Here are our suggestions:
- Become a member of the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness! Partner with us to be part of the solution in ending homelessness in Arizona
- Donate to the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness.
- If you know someone who is at risk of or experiencing homelessness, be their advocate! Help them navigate resources that are available to them.
- Check out our amazing member agencies that are making a real difference in the community. Connect with them and find out what volunteer opportunities they may have or services they are in need of.
- Volunteer at the statewide StandDown efforts. StandDown is a one to three-day outreach event for homeless and at-risk veterans to receive necessary services and resources to help end their homelessness. The Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness is the statewide convening entity working with communities throughout the state to run these outreach events. Please visit the Arizona StandDown website at www.arizonastanddown.org to see upcoming StandDown events and to volunteer your time.
- If you would like to volunteer your time and/or talents, please consider volunteering with our member agency, the Valley of the Sun United Way. They offer monthly Project Connect events throughout the metro Phoenix area. Project Connects offers instant access to the resources people in our community need to start the journey back to health, financial stability and housing.
- Visit the Tucson Pima Collaboration to End Homelessness’ “Not Who You Think” to find service opportunities in the southern Arizona area.
- Check out the Lodestar Day Resource Center located on the Human Service Campus in Phoenix. They have numerous volunteer opportunities available and are often in need of in-kind donations.
- The LDRC is currently in great need of volunteers for their Post Office. Shifts in need of coverage include:
- Tuesday: 10am - 2pm and 1 - 4:30 pm
- Wednesday: 12:30 - 4:30 pm
- Friday: 12:30 - 4:30 pm
- Saturday: 12:30 - 4:30 pm
- If you would like to help out, please contact Dawn Shires, email@example.com or 602-390-7090
When you volunteer, you’ll be rewarded with a sense of giving back and feel passionately engaged in the issues facing our community. Volunteering doesn’t just improve lives in our community and advance the common good; it can also be a powerful tool for your personal development.
By volunteering, you:
- Make a difference in someone’s life
- Make important networking contacts
- Learn or develop skills
- Share your skills with others
- Enhance your résumé
- Gain valuable work experience
- Build self-esteem and self-confidence
- Meet new people
- Give back for help you may have received in the past
- Encourage others to foster community responsibility