We at the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness are often asked how an individual can help an someone experiencing homelessness or the homeless population in general. Here are our suggestions:
- Become a member of the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness! Partner with us to be part of the solution in ending homelessness in Arizona
- Donate to the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness. The Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness is recognized under Arizona law (ARS 43-1088.G.2) as a working poor charitable tax credit organization. You could receive a dollar-for-dollar FULL ARIZONA TAX CREDIT up to $200 (filing as a single unmarried head of household) or $400 (married filing joint) for your donation to AZCEH. You can also include the donation on your Federal Tax Return. Please check details at: www.azdor.gov or call 602-255-3381 or 1-800-843-7196 from area codes 928 and 520. Please consult your tax preparer for specific advice. For the 2015 tax year, donations must be postmarked by December 31, 2015. You do NOT need to itemize!
- If you know someone who is at risk of or experiencing homelessness, be their advocate! Help them navigate resources that are available to them.
- Check out our amazing member agencies that are making a real difference in the community. Connect with them and find out what volunteer opportunities they may have or services they are in need of.
- Share your story! Are you a direct-service employee working with homeless individuals? We would love to hear your story and add it to our AZCEH Advocacy Story Bank. We advocate for our member agencies by sharing stories with elected officials in an effort for them to understand the varied needs of the many vulnerable populations that fall into homelessness. We know an important piece of affecting change is through public policy. While data, facts, and figures are key to the education of our elected and appointed officials, it is the human element to any story that brings about common ground and understanding. Help us bring the stories of our homeless neighbors to the ears of those with the power to create lasting change. By volunteering your story for our Advocacy Story Bank, you are volunteering to be an important voice for far too many of our most vulnerable neighbors who have none. The Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness is a 501(c)(3) non-profit The Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness (AZCEH) which provides leadership in statewide efforts to end homelessness through advocacy, education and coordination with local communities and initiatives. Be a part of the work we're doing to end homelessness by lending us your voice.
- Volunteer at the statewide StandDown efforts. StandDown is a one to three-day outreach event for homeless and at-risk veterans to receive necessary services and resources to help end their homelessness. The Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness is the statewide convening entity working with communities throughout the state to run these outreach events. Please visit the Arizona StandDown website at www.arizonastanddown.org to see upcoming StandDown events and to volunteer your time.
- Volunteer to participate in the annual Point-In-Time (PIT) Count. Help us better understand how many individuals and families are experiencing homelessness in our community and be better equipped to meet their needs. The PIT Count is a one-night street count to determine the number of people experiencing homelessness in Arizona during a given point-in-time. The count includes a brief survey to identify some characteristics of people experiencing homelessness in the community. The statewide count in broken up into three geographic areas:
- If you would like to volunteer your time and/or talents, please consider volunteering with our member agency, the Valley of the Sun United Way. They offer monthly Project Connect events throughout the metro Phoenix area. Project Connects offers instant access to the resources people in our community need to start the journey back to health, financial stability and housing.
- Visit the Tucson Pima Collaboration to End Homelessness’ Not Who You Think to find service opportunities in the southern Arizona area.
- Check out the Lodestar Day Resource Center located on the Human Service Campus in Phoenix. They have numerous volunteer opportunities available and are often in need of in-kind donations.
When you volunteer, you’ll be rewarded with a sense of giving back and feel passionately engaged in the issues facing our community. Volunteering doesn’t just improve lives in our community and advance the common good; it can also be a powerful tool for your personal development.
By volunteering, you:
- Make a difference in someone’s life
- Make important networking contacts
- Learn or develop skills
- Share your skills with others
- Enhance your résumé
- Gain valuable work experience
- Build self-esteem and self-confidence
- Meet new people
- Give back for help you may have received in the past
- Encourage others to foster community responsibility